I’ve worn compression socks for 3 out of my 4 marathons, and I’m pretty sure I’ll wear them in October for the Chicago marathon too. My favourite compression socks are Pro Compression, so when they contacted me about hosting a giveaway for you guys, I was all over it. To win a pair of Pro Compression Marathon socks (you don’t have to run a marathon in them!) either comment below with your sock of choice or tweet about this post (using @charliedwatson and @procompression in the tweet) and you’ll have a choice of their snazzy colours! Open to UK and US residents, competition closes 5th June 2015.
As well as wearing compression socks, I also own a couple of pairs of compression leggings. I really like the 2XU- and although very unattractive to put on, they feel nice and snug once you’ve pulled them up fully! Plus I’m obsessed with patterned leggings at the moment, so these Alpha Printed leggings from Under Armour fit the bill of being functional and fashionable.
But some of you are probably wondering what the benefits of compression are for running.
Why wear compression for running?
Compression gear is designed to circulate your blood back to your heart and lungs more efficiently, replenishing the oxygen and nutrients in your muscles more quickly.
Wearing compression socks, sleeves or leggings can;
- Improve recovery speed and minimise muscle soreness, which is why a lot of people wear them during or after running to help reduce the effects of the long run on their legs.
- You’ll lose less energy from your muscles vibration, mostly through the quad and calf.
- It raises blood lactate accumulation, meaning that you’ll be able to run harder for longer before lactic acid becomes a real problem and you experience cramps.
- Improves anaerobic and aerobic threshold.
- Decreases injury risk, the force of the impact from the ground up the legs is lessened, this reduces the stress. They can also help support and stabilise areas of previous injury.
- Compression gear gently squeezes the muscles helping keep them warm to allow them to work more efficiently.
Don’t forget to enter the competition to win a pair of Pro Compression marathon socks or sleeve of your choice, you can also use the code PRO15 for 40% off. I’m planning on placing an order really soon so email me (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you want to club together on postage