I know from experience that I get the most traffic when I post regularly- I know my views come mostly from new posts rather than my old content (a future post talking about re-purposing old stuff!!) Me blogging on holiday is one of Tom’s pet peeves and so over the years I’ve tried to streamline not only my equipment but also the process of me blogging on the go. This keeps my blog ticking over and the boyfriend happy!
1. Pre-schedule some blogs to go up while I’m away, so that if I don’t blog at all, there will still be fresh content being published. This is also a great time to host guest posts on your blog if you want from friends and other bloggers. Schedule your shares using something like Co-schedule (it’s a game changer).
2. Update social media fairly regularly, again keeping new, relevant content going up. I actually just got Snapchat – follow me at therunnerbeans – although I haven’t played with this much, it is a really great way of keeping your followers engaged while you’re away/on the go! I’m also on Periscope – @charliedwatson/therunnerbeans.
3. Take a LOT of photos. It’s easier and quicker to build a blog around photos you’ve already taken.
4. Use your downtime to blog. Tom usually wants a nap when we’ve had busy days on City breaks and I’ll use this time to blog either in the hotel room, lobby or café. Similarly, I wake up super early even on hols so use this time in the morning before everyone else wakes up to blog, check social media and read other blogs.
5. Think about setting up a Tumblr that is much quicker to keep updated, you can post your regular posts on it too, but while away this can just be updated with single images and short bits of text.
6. Pre-write some draft posts, then add in photos and extra copy from your trip to make them timely and relevant, such as my ‘How to stay healthy on a long haul flight’ post, publishing them in real time while you’re away.
7. You can also use an app to schedule your social media- Hootsuite just added the ability to schedule instagram!
On past trips, I’ve taken my laptop with me, which takes up a fair amount of room, especially if I’m travelling with only a carry-on bag. I was recently sent a Logitech Ultrathin Bluetooth keyboard for my ipad and used it to blog on my holiday in Portugal. It is so easy to use as well as being easy to pack in a mini suitcase or handbag. Unfortunately, WordPress isn’t ideal on an Ipad and it does take a little more patience than blogging on a laptop, but it’s worth it for short trips!
Other bloggers I know take time off completely when they’re away, whilst others just reduce their blogging frequency. Neither mean you’re necessarily going to lose traffic, in fact Leah text me this morning and let me know hers has stayed consistent despite her lack of internet access!
Do you blog while you’re away? What are your tricks and tips for staying up to date?